Timothy Bastian originally graduated from Saint Joseph School in May 2008. However, he recently was reverted back to age 15 and is attending Saint Joe's once again as a sophomore.
- Handle: Timothy Bastian
- Full name: Timothy Bastian
Patrol name: Doubletake
Age: 15 or 19 (born January 29, 1990)
Year in school: Sophomore
This section provides quick reference information.
This information is apparent upon encountering Timothy and perhaps conversing for less than five minutes.
- Timothy is on the reserved side.
This information is not commonly known about Timothy. Acquiring this information may require social digging, snooping, or being told by Timothy themselves.
- Timothy used to have a soul bond with his adoptive brother, Barjnal.
- He attempted suicide in December 2006.
- His hero name is Doubletake. He generally doesn't use it, though.
- Timothy used to have a prehensile tail, before he returned to Saint Joe's the second time.
Timothy naturally has the potential for magic. This potential runs in his family but tends not to express itself very strongly. The strongest aspect of the gift can be described roughly as a kind of borderline-psychic magic. Members of Timothy's family tend to be able to affect or manipulate others' emotional state. For example: Timothy's father, Roger, is a motivational speaker who uses his talent to inspire people to work towards their greater potentials. His grandfather, Wilbert, was a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman who used his gifts to inspire others to clean using the latest Hoover model. This typically acts only one-way: they can project but cannot receive.
Timothy, however, expresses his family's gift much more strongly than most. He also can perform various other forms of magic as a full-fledged mage. He has four areas that come very naturally to him: manipulative magic, illusory magic, teleportative magic, and weather magic. He can perform many basic spells in these areas by pure force of will and concentration, though more advanced magics may require subtle gestures or incantations.
When working magic outside of his areas of strength, he typically must more strongly rely on spells, potions, rituals, and the like. Given time to study and prepare, Timothy has the potential to work a wide range of different kinds of magic. However, he typically does not stray far from his strengths.
Timothy is in control of most of his powers. However, the innate persuasive abilities he shares with his father and grandfather are not ''completely'' under control. Under certain circumstances, he may project emotion or mood to others without intending to. This projection occurs solely through vocal means. Timothy has come to largely avoid situations where he knows he's at risk for this projection occurring, unless it suits him to let it happen.
Timothy also commonly makes use of invisibility. Timothy's invisibility is magical in nature and can extend beyond simple concealment from sight. If he chooses, he can conceal himself from ''all'' senses: sight, hearing, smell, or even non-traditional senses such as thermal or psychic awareness. Timothy can also ''selectively'' make himself invisible. He does this in practice on patrol: to his allies he has a faint transparent visual presence, though to his foes he's completely unseen. Though powerful, the spell is not foolproof. If Timothy engages in combat, his opponents can often detect his presence. Further, there ''are'' some entities that can detect him through the invisibility regardless (for example, Rikti drones).
- In the past, Timothy had a rather bad attitude. So far, he's been pretty neutral for his second take at high school. Nonetheless, fair warning: Timothy has the capacity to get rather mean/nasty to people. If he does, be assured it's purely in character! If it happens and you're concerned, feel free to send me a /tell.
- If you're on patrol with Timothy (as an ally), unless otherwise noted you see him as you do in game: largely transparent. If Timothy goes invisible with the intent to hide from you for RP reasons, then regardless of your powerset, you probably ''cannot'' sense him; if you feel you should be an exception, please work it out with me via /tell before RPing that you "see" him. Timothy's invisibility is not strictly visual in nature; it works on several levels and is fairly comprehensive (see "Metahuman abilities" above).
- Some of Timothy's abilities are relatively psychic in nature. However, Timothy ''cannot'' read your mind or emotions. He is able to influence other people's minds and emotions, but he does not normally use that ability on his peers. Other characters who are psychic and/or empathic will find that Timothy is not as easily read as most people; however, he's also not a psychic fortress, so if they try to get in his head they probably can (though he may or may not detect it, depending on how subtle their touch is).
A touch of magic runs in the Bastian family. Timothy's father, Roger, is a motivational speaker. His inborn magical gifts allow him to inspire others to work towards their greater potentials. Roger's father, Wilbert, was a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. He used his gifts to inspire others to clean using the latest Hoover model. But as Timothy reached adolescence, he began to show a lot more promise than has been seen in several generations.
Timothy first learned of his magical heritage at age ten when he discovered the journal of Teodors Grunberg. As it turns out, Teodors was a mage of some ability who apparently died in the early 20th century. As he reached the end of his long years, he committed his knowledge into his journal. But there was a twist: his writings were magically encoded so that only someone descended from him with sufficient magical potential would be able to read them, and then, only if they saw through the illusion that comprised them. Timothy fit bill, and consequently, he inherited his forefather's collected wisdom. Over the next several years, Timothy used Teodors' journal to teach himself the fundamentals of magic.
In the summer of 2006, Timothy accrued a sizable debt as a result of some experimentation with gambling. To pay off his debt, he used his magical powers to coerce others into giving him money. He got caught, of course, and was found guilty of extortion. The court sentenced him to community service to be fulfilled through MAGI.
Timothy's parents were naturally very disappointed with his behavior. Being nominal Catholics, they decided to send him to Saint Joseph School in hopes that he would be provided with the guidance and supervision necessary to put him on a better path. He began attending Saint Joe's in the fall of 2006.
Shortly after the school year began, Timothy became extremely close friends with another student, [[Barjnal]]; so close, that Timothy eventually persuaded his parents to adopt Barjnal, who had no family of his own. Unknown to most, Barjnal was actually a demon merged with a human. Barjnal wasn't well anchored in the human realm, and so to prevent him from getting taken back to hell, Timothy soul-bonded with Barjnal to anchor him more strongly. Outside of his friendship with Barjnal, however, he was fairly anti-social with most of his peers.
Life became much more turbulent for Timothy as Christmas 2006 approached, making itself evident in a failed suicide attempt. Afterward, he temporarily left Saint Joe's and was homeschooled for a while, but eventually was allowed to come back under strict supervision and with frequent counseling. Initially, he was even more cantankerous than before, further alienating the few friends he'd had before. Later, under threat of being sent to a military school, he began acting more friendly... but only as an act to hopefully stave off the transfer.
When the summer of 2007 rolled around, the Rikti showed up with it, and like everyone else, Timothy found himself struggling through the state of emergency. Like many of his peers, he contributed to the war effort as he could. When the Rikti backed off and life started to get back to normal, Timothy began to worry about military school once again. As it happened, though, things worked out for him so that he could stay at St. Joe's.
As the 2007 fall semester started, Timothy had stopped heroing and largely kept to himself and had only minimal involvement with the rest of the school. What involvement he did have tended to be polite, though terse. It was during this time that he started his weekly counseling sessions with Valerie Atwood. Much to the surprise of both Timothy and Valerie, Timothy started to slowly open up during his counseling sessions with her. As 2007 drew to a close, he was finally starting to confront some of his issues.
In December, Timothy approached Barjnal and renewed their friendship. The two still seem somewhat unsure of each other at times, but they seem distinctly closer than they had been in the previous months. As the new year dawned, Timothy was starting to isolate himself less. His interactions with his peers became somewhat less hostile than they were in the past, and though he tended to still be acerbic at times, he was a much more tolerable person to be around much of the time--at times, even approaching friendly. He also started heading out on patrol again at that time.
Timothy kept a fairly low profile through his final months of high school though, and finally graduated from Saint Joseph School in May of 2008. Following graduation, Timothy and Barj decided to take a year off from school to focus on their magic. They decided to join up with the Midnight Squad.
From the summer of 2008 through the spring of 2009, Timothy and Barjnal settled into something of a routine with the Midnight Squad. Much of their time was spent doing research or fairly menial tasks, much to Timothy's irritation. Though it had taken a secondary status in their life, both still continued to patrol as they had time and opportunity.
In the spring of 2009, their lives underwent some dramatic changes when the Lord of Boils, Barjnal's former master, came to collect Barjnal. In their initial confrontation, the Lord of Boils hit the boys with an attack that put them in great dangerous, including negating their magical capabilities. The boys escaped, but were in perilous shape. Fortunately, a solution came along in time to save them both, but the solution had a troublesome side effect for Timothy: he was returned to age 15.
Thus, in April 2009, Timothy returned to Saint Joseph School to resume his high school education.
Intro and updates
Please refer to this post later in the thread for Timothy's original Intro and per-issue updates.
- Timothy Bastian (Commons, mixed IC/OOC, July 2006-Present)
- Five Grand (Narrative, August 2006)
- D.A.R.E. (Post in narrative, August 2006)
- Lunch (Post in interactive, October 2006)
- Inviting Pica (Interlude, November 2006)
- Pica responds (Interlude, November 2006)
- Glue shoes (Interlude, November 2006)
- Prisoner 3065 (Post in interactive, November 2006)
- My Brother's Keeper (Narrative, November 2006)
- To Have Loved and Lost (Narrative, December 2006–December 2007 [wonky time: December 2006–August 2007])
- Sister Moltar's English Assignment (Post in interactive, April 2007)
- 2006-2007 Annuus (Yearbook entry, September 2007)
- Moving the Dead (Interlude, July 2007)
- Shades of the Past (Narrative, December 2007–January 2008 [wonky time: September 2007–December 2007 / flashback: all over the map])
- Take Two (Narrative, March 2009)